Sunday, February 24, 2008

Rumour Has It...

that I am attached, paired up, coupled! Gosh, life on a small island never ceases to amaze me. According to persons I don't know and don't intend to meet, Best Male Friend (BMF) and I are an item. This rapidly circulating falsehood has come back to me before in the past 3 months or so, but I've managed to laugh it off. However, now I'm just peeved and wish people would mind their own business. Yes, BMF and I can be seen eating a meal, enjoying an art show and having a drink together. Yes, he is of the opposite sex and attractive. Yes, we always have a good time when we go out. And, Yes, we shared a kiss in the privacy of his apartment. But all of that is OUR business.


Girls and guys can't be friends on this little rock without people spreading rumours. Some chick that I know only marginally had the nerve to offer to my sister her unwelcome assessment of our relationship, "She (that would be me) doesn't seem to be into him as much as he is into her!" Ha, ha, ha. LMAO! Really? You don't even know me!


Yeah, I am peeved. But I am also amazed at how very little fodder is needed for rumours to spread on this 26 x 7 mile surface. So, if someone should have the nerve to ask for my confirmation of my relationship status, shouldn't I - just for the heckuvit - say: " I thought you would have heard by now: I don't do men anymore!" Whooooo! Talk about news spreading like wildfire!

7 comments:

just jamie said...

Careful with that, "I don't do men anymore!" comment. Sounds like your island might come up with some new *girl-y* gossip for that (not that there's anything wrong with that). :)

Could it be that they are jealous of your independence and happiness? (Cause' I kind of am.)

Chevy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reasonably Happy Gal said...

People are always going to talk. A preacher and good friend of mine once said, "If people are talking about you, it's because they like you or want to be you. People don't really waste time thinking or talking about people they don't like."

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as YOU know what's up, it doesn't matter what other people are saying.

marisa said...

Even on big rocks like LA, people talk. I think it's because when you're a single girl, they want you to have a partner so that you're "figured out." It's like no one can believe a single girl can exist without a partner... especially when she's happy being single!

Chevy said...

Emma, I like what you said about people wanting to have me "figured out." That's a clever way to put it.

Also, I was only kidding about the "lesbian" comment. I know that that would definitely lessen my chances of getting ANY dates here.

RJTrue said...

I hate rumors ... but that surely makes you the "it" girl doesn't it??
Keep smiling and being hot on the island!

Chevy said...

ha ha! I've never been the 'it' girl. But I have been told often that I walk with a shroud of mystery about me. I think it's working in my favour.