Friday, February 8, 2008

NightStand Companions


I'm enjoying short stories these days. When I'm working -diligently- I get ADHD. Snapshots into fictional lives coupled with a cup of tea before my 10 p.m. bedtime help me to continue my boast of being an avid reader.

Two recommended short- story collections are:

Red Plaid Shirt stories by Diane Schoemperlen (witty, unforgettable characters, surprising in style and structure)

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (beautifully composed,interesting relationships , a taste of India)

I'm about to read:

The Guy Not Taken by Jennifer Weiner (will let you know what I think)



What's on your nightstand?

2 comments:

Reasonably Happy Gal said...

A box of Kleenex - I have allergies all year round.

A 32 ounce water bottle - my allergies cause dry throat, so I have to get that water to make sure I don't hack up a lung.

A telephone that I would prefer ripped out of the wall socket.

No books. I'm in a class right now. And I promised myself I wouldn't read anything else till I'm finished with the Bible.

But I do want to re-read The Time Traveler's Wife... It keeps staring me in the face whispering "don't you remember how much you loved me? you read me in less than 3 days."

Anyway... hope you're sleeping well.

ExposedNYC said...

I'm in the middle of "Eat, Pray, Love" which come to me with some lofty expectations, but has held my interest in living and traveling vicariously so far.

I'm a big fan of Ms. Weiner!