Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pluralizing "The One"

"I think maybe the concept of 'the one' works for different periods of time in your life. Different people can be the one at different stages, fufilling what you need maybe in your twenties but not in your thirties, for example. Therefore you can completely believe that you've found the one, and for it to be true, but it won't be your only 'one'." -Working Kitten



Thanks for your comment, Working Kitten! I've toyed with this idea on and off for a while - even when I was in a relationship with someone I considered my only 'one'. I suppose I didn't have to think about having ones until recently.

My ex, Hank, was definitely sent from above to help me through a very confusing and tumultuous time during my years in college. He was so supportive and patient and strong - it was just what I needed at the time. Then there was the ex before him who served a very specific purpose in my life also. He was equally supportive, but for a different cause.

While, I haven't yet subscribed to this idea of having ones for different periods of my life, I must say the idea both scares me and intrigues me.


You see, I come from parents who fell in love at 15 and who, now at 54, are still happily married. So, I'm a big believer in the one and I have always thought that there was only one! But, when I begin to consider that I might have a few ones in my 20s and a few more in my 30s, I think that somewhere in my mid 30's, if I'm still single, it would make me wonder if I had misread the signs - and therefore lost my chance - with one of those ones (you still following me?).

Even though I have no desire to get married anytime soon (maybe by the time I'm thirty). I do really want to settle down with one man and to grow old with him, just like my parents. I love the sense of security that I think would come with being with a person who's eager to love you for the rest of your life, flaws and all (it's the hopeless romantic in me).

But until that time arrives, maybe I will enjoy the company of ones throughout the different seasons of my life until the one shows up from out of nowhere and sweeps me off my feet. However, I would have to guard my heart more carefully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I am most honoured Chevy, thankyou for exploring my comment so thoroughly!

You know, my parents sound similar to yours. They didn't meet quite so early, but just before their twenties, and have now been married 45 years so I come from a similar background. I also love the idea of just that one man being it, but as I'm now in my early thirties I've had some experience of having had more than one relationship where I thoroughly believed at the time that he was 'the one'. Its not something that happens alot, so I'm talking very small numbers here. But it feels to me that even though I love the model my parents set for me, its much harder in our current times to live it out, and I'm grateful for what each man has brought to my life at different stages and wouldn't change them for anything, nor take away the pain often associated with the ending of these eras as its all contributed to who I am now.

Thanks again for this post, it was most thought provoking!