Monday, March 24, 2008

Choices, Choices

If you had only the following 2 options which would you choose:



a.) To marry someone with herpes (a controllable disease that can't be transmitted as long as a condom is always used) who has had about 3-5 sexual partners?


or


b.) To marry someone who has had 80-100 sexual partners with a clean bill of health?



My friend asked me that question just yesterday before she hopped on a plane. On our way to the airport we were discussing the Spitzer case and the Monica Lewinsky case. We resolved to never be the mortified wife that stood under the harsh glare of television camera lights and photography flash. We were not going to "stand by our man" especially when there was evidence to prove that he was unfaithful. But then my friend slapped me upside the head with the questions above. I'm still ruminating...
What do you say?

5 comments:

Reasonably Happy Gal said...

That is a tough question.

I went on a couple of dates with a guy who has herpes. He told me before the first date. I was glad that he told me upfront, BUT it did prevent me from really going anywhere with the relationship. I just kept thinking, "I'm not even going there. That's a chance I am NOT willing to take."

On the other hand, if I got to know a guy and fell for him with him - not knowing, I'd probably be pissed that he didn't tell me from the beginning. But having been in the situation, I know that I wouldn't give the guy a fair chance.

So, my answer is.... celibacy is awesome - for me... LOL.

Anonymous said...

Sheesh! This is a tough one. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see it like this:

If the spread is avoidable through condom usage, then that means Mr. Herpes wasn't responsible enough to use protection with at least one of those 5 partners. This makes me question some other things about him.

On the other hand, 80-100 partners looks like a staggering number to me. If he has a clean bill of health, does that mean that he had sense enough to use protection? Or did he just luck out and not catch anything when he slipped up?

I'm thinking, all else (personality, level of love, trust, respect, etc.) being equal, I'd go with a clean bill of health.

Exposed said...

Not the least bit difficult for me. B, a clean bill of health and fine tuned technique that I benefit from, with no risk of a condom breaking.

Those 80-100 were part of making them the person I'm now about to marry, so who cares about the number.

Misty said...

You know what.... I can't even find an answer to that question..... (wink)

just jamie said...

Yikes. If I *really* had to answer, I'd choose ... um ... Matt Damon. Oh, darn it, he's not an option? Bummer.

Celibacy I think.