Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ebony and...


Am I the only person who has not dated interacially? My sister has, most of my friends have, my brother is currently in an interracial relationship...so why not me? The hard, cold truth is that I'm scared! I know, how insane is that?


It's not that I've never found guys outside of my race attractive - not at ALL the case (as a matter of fact, I met a really great guy last weekend who's interested in me). I guess because my dad, brothers, male cousins and most of my male friends look like me and come from similar backgrounds as mine, I have more experience with - and therefore feel more comfortable relating - to men in those categories.


Part of my personal plan for 2008, is to break the monotony: do things I've never done before and that I've always wanted to do. Dating outside of my norm is one of those things. But why do I feel so nervous? Is this normal?


Help! Have you dated interacially before? Were you as nervous about it as I am? Be honest with me..I'm a big girl, I can take it!


P.S. - If you don't approve of interracial dating, please reserve your comments for like-minded people. In other words, walk on!










5 comments:

marisa said...

I've dated interracially before.
I think the reason why you may be nervous is because a) you're dating out of your norm, and b) you may be worried of how society reacts. When I have dated outside my race, culture, or even religion, I feel like people are looking at me and wondering what my motives are. It's hard to explain, but you feel like everyone's staring.

But once I recognized that and put that aside as complete paranoia, I just enjoyed getting to know the guy! Opening yourself up to new people is always nerve-racking, but it can be quite a thrill, too.

Chevy said...

Aww, thanks Emma. You're helping to put my nerves to rest!

Reasonably Happy Gal said...

I have dated interracially. I was nervous depending on where we lived. We started dating in the deep south. And we lived in Utah for a while.

I was more comfortable with it when we lived in cities where it didn't seem so out of the ordinary.

I have found that if you are comfortable with the other person, it doesn't really matter all that much (what other people think.) But if you're questioning the relationship - for whatever reasons, you'll never be comfortable in it.

And green eyes are the best.

Dani said...

I am married interracially, and I'm Caribbean. Was never nervous about it though, but that's probably because almost all of my friends from childhood had interracial parents, so I thought it was normal. I'd just say don't do it because you think the other person is "exotic" just date whoever is nice to you and attractive to you. I thought my husband would be totally different from me because our backgrounds are polar opposites, but we're two peas in a pod. Don't limit yourself since there are so many great guys out there of all races.

Chevy said...

Oh, I would never "exoticize" anyone. I hate when it's done to me.

But on another note, I'm really excited to start broadening my scope when it comes to the guys I'm interested in. Now, if only I had the courage to flirt with them. I'm terrible when it comes to dropping hints that I'm interested - with ALL men. I should work on that huh?

::: Chevy walks away with her tail between her legs:::