Friday, January 25, 2008

Seriously?


Picture this:


A young, well dressed, attractive girl walks into a gas station. Girl notices unattractive, older guy checking her out. Girl is not impressed. Girl grabs bottled water and today's paper, bypassing ogling unattractive guy, completely avoiding eye-contact. Girl stands in check out line and stiffens as guy joins line behind her (a little too closely, might I add). Guy leans into the delicate crook of girl's neck and whispers: "You want to buy me lunch?"


The nerve! This happened to me on my way to work yesterday. Brotha' man caught me on the wrong day, because I, a customarily shy and soft-spoken maiden, spun around, looked him right in the eyes (not before giving him the once-over) and said: "Really?!! Is that the best you can come up with?" Then I turned my back on unattrative guy, struck up a light conversation with the cashier and sauntered out, leaving him to pierce a hole in the back of head.


Unfortunately, I had to face him again in the parking lot where he insisted on glaring into my car, but as I was feeling particularly brave yesterday: I stared back and drove calmly away.


Whew! I hope he didn't take down my plate number!


I am so fed up with some men thinking they can say anything to us and expect us to melt. Seriously, am I not more deserving of even their most-contrived pick-up? Ugh!



1 comment:

Reasonably Happy Gal said...

Some people have NO social skills whatsoever. And believe it or not, at one point in that man's life, that line may have actually worked for him.

I think you handled it well. And just remember, his behavior is NO reflection of you whatsoever. You just happened to be there when he was.