Saturday, January 12, 2008

So, this is single life, eh?

Ladies, imagine you're in a discount shoe warehouse, scrambling past boxes of tried- and- not- so-true footwear to reach your final destination: the perfect pair of cute AND functional pumps. You pick them up, look around incredulously, not believing that they're yours - all yours - AND they're the perfect fit! Yes, you get to take them home, show them off to your girlfriends and exclaim: "Girl, check out this great find!" Even your mom would love them. But - yes, there's always a but - before you march out of the store beaming with your great deal, you learn that this blissful moment was but a fleeting dream. You don't get to keep it, you can show it off to your girlfriends and your mama, but it's only on loan. You must return your find within a limited time frame because, contrary to all dreams you just formulated in your pretty little head, those pumps are needed somewhere else indefinitely. That's kinda, sorta, what it was like walking away from my last relationship.

Ok, ok, I know that wasn't the best analogy. Losing a really great guy, is nothing like walking away from a great pair of $50 Jimmy Choos. But I digress.

Let's call my ex-guy "Hank". Hank is the epitome of "tall, dark and handsome". He's the type of guy who walks down the street and everybody has to stare because you've never seen anything like him: chiseled features, broad shoulders, and a walk that exudes self-assurance. Not only is he gorgeous, he's intelligent, socially conscious, driven, and caring.

Hank and I dated for roughly 3 and 1/2 years, 1 and 1/2 of which were long distance. Ouf! We thought we had the perfect relationship when we lived in the same city AND when we lived in drastically different time zones. We told each other everything, supported one another through anything and really were deeply in love. But, then reality bit a chunk of burning love out of our arses! He had obligations on one side of the globe and I on the other.

We're both young - in our mid-twenties- working on our careers and trying to "live our lives to the fullest" (whatever that means!) and while we would love to drop everything and run in the direction of each other, it just isn't feasible right now or anytime in the near future. Our options were to continue in a long distance relationship for another 2 1/2 years (dbl Ouf!) or separate, wish each other the best and pledge to stay in touch.

So, yes, my great find practically landed in my lap. I even got my girlfriends jonesing for a taste of what I had, and my mom had already placed her stamp of approval on Hank. But, as life would have it (since it always seems to have the last say), this wonderful deal had an expiry date.

And, here I am truly single for the first time in 6 years (more on that later) and I'm....happy? ?? Quick review: I have been single for 2 months now, eating lots of vanilla ice cream, craving the sound of you-know-whose's voice, going to bed at 8 p.m. on weekends, and avoiding men's advances until I 'get my mind right'. Yet, I say, I'm happy?? Yeah (shaking my head profusely), I am grateful and contented!




What about you? Have you ever had to walk away from a really great relationship? How long did it take for you to gain perspective on the situation?








Chevy

No comments: